Tuesday 14 September 2010

Visiting Raw Design - Manchester

Visiting Raw Design Studio
During my stay at Manchester while working at True North, I managed to squeeze in a meet up with Tom Heaton who works at Raw Design Studio; an award winning design agency in Manchester. They are a multidisciplinary agency who focus on effective ideas and strong design outcomes that range form brand identities, print publications to design for web.

They have a lovely little design studio as you can see from the images below. I arranged to meet up with the intention to receive some feedback off my portfolio, discuss potential placement opportunities, and to ask about helping me out with my dissertation research. Tom was very helpful and spared almost an hour of his time after work to speak to me, I received some positive and constructive feedback and advice on my work. Stuff that has made me rethink certain parts of how I should present my portfolio, one of them is to definitely bring the actual projects with me particularly if they are print heavy outcomes.

In terms of placement, this is currently a 'pending' situation as I'll need to see what date's I could do and he would also need to double check with the art director, particularly as there has been some big alterations with the people and the direction that they're heading with the studio. Again, just like Whitespace, he was more than happy to help me out with my dissertation research and was willing to answer a few questions which I'll need to email him ASAP!

Once again, I really appreciated his time and the overall time spent there was invaluable. I definitely feel slightly more connected getting to speak to more designers around the area, this has also improved my confidence with meeting new designers and the way I present my work etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment