Saturday 28 August 2010

Meeting Danielle Huthart - Whitespace - Hong Kong

WHITESPACE 


During my stay at Hong Kong, I spent some time contacting a few design agencies to potentially meet up and gather some research on my dissertation topic on branding. One of the ones who got back to me was Whitespace, a relatively small design agency who worked on both commercial and more independent clients in Hong Kong. Their portfolio demonstrated a strong collection of branding, print, web and self initiated work, basically the type of design studio that really appealed to me so I was thrilled when she offered to spent some of her time to meet and chat to me.

Aswell as receiving some positive and constructive feedback on my work, we discussed about current design industry really, mainly in Asia and comparing it with other cities such as New York and what's happening in Europe. I do have an interest in working or atleast gaining more experience in the design field in Hong Kong so briefly talked about the potential of work as a graphic designer in the city. It was interesting and insightful to hear Danielle's journey, who was educated and worked in New York for a decade before moving to Hong Kong to setup Whitespace. Finally, I got a tour of their minimalistic design studio (Think Whitespace!), showed me their collection of limited edition prints including an A1 screenprint of Feltron and some of there current projects.

Looking back, the visit experience was great, it was really nice to meet another designer who has worked elsewhere and settled in Hong Kong. I will definitely be keeping in touch with Danielle, as she has also offered to help with my dissertation research by answering a few questions around my topic. Will also be keeping an eye on their website with some upcoming projects and events!

No comments:

Post a Comment