Saturday 28 August 2010

4 week at IdN - Hong Kong

IdN [ International Designers Network ] is a Hong Kong based bi monthly design magazine that distributes internationally. Content wise it focuses on a specific field of design and visual communication for each issue ranging from typography to retail design. I applied to IdN with the intention to experience work in Hong Kong and also because of the publication itself, one that I have been reading/collecting for quite a few years now. Towards the mid point of the 2nd year, I have got really into publications and editorial design, I did a month at HK Magazine last year, but wanted to do something within the design field this year so IdN Magazine was considered.

I worked here for 4 weeks during my 5 weeks stay in Hong Kong over the summer, during this stay my main roles were overseeing what was going on, helping with researching, getting in contact with featured designers, networking and designing odd bits including stuff for their website and promotional material.

The time spent there was pretty insightful; getting to see how such a content heavy publication starts off with topic ideas for the next issue, researching, collecting, organising, down to finally being put together into a publication and finalised with special finishes and stock considerations. From working at IdN, I learnt quite alot on the production side of magazine, aswell as the design process and being able to work together with other colleagues who would be dealing with other side of things. From this experience, I'll definitely bring forwards what I've learn into my 3rd year, particularly with researching and getting in contact with people. 





No comments:

Post a Comment